|Currently being replaced|
Oct 09 - The following was post in a MoE user group forum about MLEs (Managed Learning Environments), this was response from a school in regards to why you wouldn't want parents accessing the SMS for this data directly....
We are in the deployment stage of PC School (SMS) to KnowledgeNet (LMS) and love the synergy this offers. The creation of student/parent logins in
2 systems would be cumbersome and difficult to manage. Currently, students entered into PC School have their, and their caregivers accounts, created automatically within Knowledge Net. We then select what aspects of our SMS we allow transferred for the convenience of the parent (no extra work on our part). The thought of parents roaming our SMS does not sit well, both in terms of security and performance. The LMS vendor is free to develop all the tools to enhance student learning whilst the SMS vendor can focus on the school management tasks. The way the connectivity works at present allows us to be very selective about what information we choose to make available without the fear of leaving doors open within the SMS.
Teacher - IT Administrator
Why use the Parent Portal...
- Data you choose to share on the portal is updated in real time from your SMS.
- Students and parents can access assessment results, attendance details, and reports as you finish them.
- KnowledgeNET Parent Portal provides schools with the integrated tools need to streamline student administration, enable stakeholder collaboration, and individualise instruction.
- The entire system is web based so educators, parents and students, have access to information from anywhere at anytime securely.
- Information you choose to share on the portal is updated in real time. Students and parents can check assessment results, attendance, and reports as you finish them.
- Using the online portal increases direct family interaction with your school. In addition to academic information, you can share school news, events and even allow families to update contact information.
- Parent Portal gives parents instant access to their childís education progress.
- Make parents partners in their childís education and increase family interaction.
- Better reporting of student achievements and outcomes.
- Improve the flow of information between parents, students and teachers.
- Accuracy and timeliness of important student data.
- Save time and generate less paper.
- Peace of mind through safe and secure data transfer.
- Intuitive user interface which requires no training.
- Interoperable with Student Management Systems.
- Integrates with KnowledgeNET (Learning Managment System)
- Fully monitored service with helpdesk support.
- Simplify communication with calendars, forums, noticeboards and a personalised contacts list.
- Advanced password and encryption technologies create a secure environment in which to view student information.
- Automatic transfer of student information including assessment data, attendance details and medical information.
- Choose what assessment data you prefer to share with Parents Data updated in real time.
- No multiple logins - parents have one login to view their childrenís information
- Virtual Classroom homepages.
- Parentís can easily update household information including phone numbers and emergency contact details which then automatically updates the SMS.
For more information or to get the ParentPortal in your school please complete our contact form or call Phil Giller on 021 794 002.